Monday, July 17, 2006

Great Falls. MT

I should be posting pictures soon. But Mary and I spent the weekend in Great Falls, MT. This is where my mom grew up and where I spent many of my summers as a young child. We had a great time, but it was obviously too short.

The reason for the trip was my grandfathers 80th birthday party. My mom, dad, M and I surprised hime by comming out. It was the the first time we had been out to MT in about 18 years.

It was great to get reaquainted with a few of my cousins, and extended family. This was also the first time M had been to MT and was the first time she had met most of my family. I am sure she was surprised.

On Sunday we just toured aorund. We went to Great Falls giant spring, and the Lewis & Clark interperative center. Both places were very interesting. It is hard to believe that the Great Falls area was "discovered" only 200 years ago!

On our way to dinner we stopped by my great grandmothers old house. It is the place my grandfather was raised and where my family had farmed for years when the first arrived to Great Falls.

The place has been abandoned for a few years now, but it was great to see it. Especially since I'm not sure when we will get out there again.

For dinner we went to one of my mom's cousins place. We ate ribs, corn, and water mellon on the banks of the Sun River. After dinner we went up to the Pishkun (I probably spelled that wrong) Buffalo Jump. Aside from the historical interest it has an amazing view of the misouri and Sun river valleys. We walked around the clifs and ended up catching the sun set. It was an amazing evening.

I'm glad M and I could make it out. It was great to re meet my family, and it was great to introduce them to M.

No comments: