Sunday, January 21, 2007

CPK Wins but someone else doesn't

So I'm not claiming that we stole the Patriots thunder or anything. But I find it odd that the Patriots end up loosing on the same night we win our first curling match. Well okay I guess I can't really pretend that the two are related.

First the Curling match: We had a great game. We were evenly matched which I think was a mixture of us all getting better and playing a team that was short a person. There were a few ends where some amazing shots were made. Including a point where the other team had 2 stones sitting right over the button (the center of the target at end of the ice) and the front of the house was well guarded. Troy and I cam up with this wild plan to tap one of our guards back into the house and at least knock an opposing stone out. Well Troy made his shot perfectly and we actually ended up sitting one point with a stone directly over the button!

Unfortunately the other team had the hammer and they managed to curl down directly to our stone and knock it out. I would not have expected to see 2 shots like that in a novice league game.

Later in the game we had snuck a stone into the house. We had 2 options with our last rock. One, guard the other teams rock. It was sitting just in front of the house and could have easily been tapped back for a point. Or draw around the outside and hope they missed the tape up. Well since we were in a good position and (for the first time) were in the lead we decided to put up a guard and play conservatively. Troy mad his shot and put up a real nice guard so the tap up was now impossible. The other teams only option was to curl from the outside. Well they ended up making their shot and got a nice roll, which took out our shot rock out and left them barely sitting 2!

I don't want to get over confident, because I am sure we will meet still competition in Schenectady, But I am feeling really good about how our team is coming along.

So on to the Patriots game..... not much to say here. I actually missed most of it. But I did hear that the Pats gave up a pretty good lead and just couldn't hold it together for the last 2 minutes of the game. They had a good season, I just really wish they hadn't lost to the Colts, and really mainly to Manning. There is too much press about how he is the best QB in the NFL and all of that crap. And he is so annoying on TV (it seems like every 10 seconds there is another Manning commercial), like he needs more money. I am all for sports figures making some extra money on the side, but really with his commercial filming schedule I'm surprised he has time to practice.

Well enough about that. I guess we will have to wait until next year. For the Pats any way, I curl tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I seem to recall you suggested the safe come-around draw while I was looking at tapping the guard and I decided on the come-around figuring if you were suggesting a "safe" shot you didn't think the "bold" shot had any chance of succeeding. I had you give the ice a little narrow figuring if I was wide the come-around would go and if I was narrow maybe the tap would work.

I guess I was narrow.

Mike Fitzgerald said...

I was just making sure you were reading. You are absolutely right. It was your idea. I guess I was still in a daze over our win, or maybe the Pats loss.

I will no longer suggest "safe" shots :-)